A favourite gift! Show off your hand-building or wheel skills and make a mug.
- Create a functional form that can be used as intended
- Show growing skills in working with clay, as they apply to the methods used (e.g. working with slab; making and attaching a handle)
- Show willingness to try new methods and techniques
- Create a quality finished product, paying special attention to food safety, smoothing, even thickness, drinkability, sturdy handle, and a level bottom
- What kind of mug do you want to make (coffee mug, teacup, etc.)?
- How tall and wide should it be? (If you are handbuilding, the height and width will determine the size of the slab you use.)
- What method do you want to use? (Tripod mug video tutorial below.)
- What kind of bottom will it have (flat, tripod, coil, etc.)?
- How will you make it interesting (texture, design, add-ons, etc.)?
How to make a tripod (3 legged) textured mug from slab: